Mercedes GLA Forums banner

tyre pressure monitoring

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Sidewaze Samm 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Thanks. I'm aware the system uses a pressure sensor/transmitter tpms fitting on the valve as opposed to the older method of measuring wheel rotation speed via the ABS sensors.

But, is each tpms fitting individually identifiable, eg as left/front and right/rear etc ?

- or are all the tpms fittings on the wheels identical and the position identified by 4 separate, local receivers (one in each wheel arch) ?

- or does each tpms wheel fitting have to be coded into the tpms system, thereby being allocated to a particular corner of the car and necessitating recoding if the wheels are moved around the car?

Essentially - how does the car know which pressure reading is from which wheel? What action needs to be taken if fitting a new wheel complete with new tpms fitting?

#4 ·
I believe each tyre has an ID code allowing the system to know each tyres position (TPMS Direct). If you change the wheels round I understand the TPMS needs to re learn. You could contact Mercedes for the system on your car but I'm fairly sure that would be the procedure. I think TPMS reset kits can be bought or tools that plug in to the OBD port that can retrieve TPMS sensor ID's.

Hope that answered your question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.