4matic V snow and ice - Mercedes GLA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

4matic V snow and ice

Hi all,
As it it is very close to winter, and I have never driven this car on snow and ice.

I would like to ask people for their views, experience and advice regarding the use of "off road"mode and the use or non use of "ESP and ETS" modes and "down hill when driving on snow and ice and or driving in mud.

Many thanks
Arthur
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Years ago I had a 4x4. The advice was to avoid driving on icy roads in 4wd as if all 4 wheels let go the consequences could be great. I never put that to the test.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
Hi all,
As it it is very close to winter, and I have never driven this car on snow and ice.

I would like to ask people for their views, experience and advice regarding the use of "off road"mode and the use or non use of "ESP and ETS" modes and "down hill when driving on snow and ice and or driving in mud.

Many thanks
Arthur
Hi Arthur,

Having Mercedes' ESP and ETS both on will 'help' with traction in the snow and specifically slow all the wheels to achieve grip.
In the event of wet roads they can adjust the wheels to spin at different speeds to help grip, like say one side of the car passes through a deep puddle for instance.
4 Matic or any other 4 wheel drive system doesn't mean you won't slip if you are driving inappropriately.

All the best

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page