GLA 220 cdi 4 matic engine/gearbox help please! - Mercedes GLA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

GLA 220 cdi 4 matic engine/gearbox help please!

Hi all, Newbie to the forum here.

I bought a 2014 GLA220 cdi AMG Line a couple of months ago, it's my third MB and I've never had an issue - until now....

Yesterday returning from work, I started the car and put it into D and the engine died (it's done this a couple of times). Usually I'll restart the car and no more issues, this time however, the gearbox was sluggish and the car has very low engine power, also the E/M/S button wouldn't respond nor could I shift up or down with the paddles.

A hundred metres after I pulled away, the engine died just as I was about to pull into the main stream of traffic. I restarted and it had severely reduced power.

After a couple of miles, I had to pull over and restart the car, the engine power returned, but still no manual gear selection, also, the car stayed in gear longer than it normally would, even though I drive like a granddad.

This morning all seemed good, I could paddle shift and the E/M/S button worked until about 5 miles into my commute, all of a sudden the gearbox started to stay in gear longer than it should and I could not paddle shift and the A/M/S button stopped responding.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Fixed

Sorted, it turned out to be the boost pressure sensor. I called Roadside Assistance and they diagnosed the fault and replaced it in about 30 mins.

I also reset the gearbox and now it drives like I expected from day one. It's always been a little snatchy when pulling away, now its as smooth as a chocolate fondue with clotted cream.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Glad you got it sorted mate.
How did you reset the gearbox?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaLAxey View Post
Glad you got it sorted mate.
How did you reset the gearbox?

1) Turn off car and all lights/eletronics
2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, take foot off gas pedal & don't touch anything...
6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2+ mins), you can open the door and get out of the car...

This will reset the shift points your car shifts at by resetting the "adaptation" that the car was electronically programmed to do. For the next 40 shifts, it will "re-adapt" to your driving style.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page